Slider

janae's roasted curried cauliflower

Monday, July 2, 2012


I wonder if men know how many butt squeezes we ladies do in all these workout classes we attend.  They should just group all those Bar classes and Barre classes and Pilates classes and Sculpting classes together and just call it AN HOUR OF BUTT SQUEEZE. Am I right? 

I took a Pilates class from a new teacher this past weekend and during some of those said squeezes, she was reminding the class to "pretend you have a quarter in there and you don't wanna drop it!!" Then she proceeded to talk about a particular day in class she actually passed out quarters for everyone to squeeze.

Wow.

"That's why you should always wash your hands after you handle money," I offered, imagining being shamed into placing a quarter down my sweaty pants in a workout class I was paying good money for.

"Ha ha!" She said. "No! I had them hold the quarter between their ankles!!"

The thing is: she didn't sound that horrified. Like maybe I was giving her a bright idea.

Later, we were knee-deep in an inner-thigh torture routine. "Most people only get 50% out of this exercise," She said, "But I'm gonna tell you how to get 100% out of it! Lift up, tuck your pelvis under, squeeze those inner thighs, squeeze those glutes, and most importantly, squeeze your She."

My SHE?  

I think she saw my confused face.

"Your She! You know, down there." Her eyes bulged as she nodded downward.

Instead of asking questions I just kept on squeezing.



So in honor of our lady flowers, let's make some cauliflower! (Too soon?)

I know: I'm terrible.





Roasted Curried Cauliflower
recipe from Janae Bakken (Thanks, Janae!)
serves 4 as a side dish

I know: it's summer. So why on earth would I be asking you to roast cauliflower? Because it's delicious. I hereby decree that cauliflower shall be roasted year-round. My lovely friend Janae served this dish at a dinner party and it was such a hit that I can't remember one other thing we ate that night. It's got this perfect combo of spiciness and tangy-ness and roasty-ness that makes it easy to forget that it's super healthy.

1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into 1-2" pieces
2T olive oil
2T lemon juice
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1 1/2 t curry powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1t kosher salt plus sea salt for finishing
1/2 t freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Make a vinaigrette with the oil, lemon juice, cumin, curry powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk well. Add the cauliflower and toss until well coated. Spread out onto a baking sheet, making sure the pieces aren't too close together (or they'll steam instead of roast). Bake for 15 minutes, give the pieces a jostle/flip, drizzling a bit more evoo if they seem dry. Bake for an additional 7-8 minutes, or until tender but not too mushy. Serve hot.

xoxo
jolie

2 comments:

  1. OMG, i cracked up at "my she" and laughed even more at lady flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a lot like the Tracy Anderson workout- just lift your leg and squeeze your butt A THOUSAND TIMES, and then repeat that A THOUSAND TIMES!!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan