Slider

gluten-free crackers

Thursday, March 17, 2011



I practically ran David over the minute he came through the door last night, sticking one of these in his mouth before he could even set down his man-bag.  "What do you think?  What do you think?!  Do you like them?  I made crackers!!  Are they good?" 

He crunched one and worked it in his mouth a good long time and did a long slow gulp.  "They're more like a flatbread, wouldn't you say?"

Me: "Uh....yeah.  I guess."

Him, tenderly: "What's that dry taste?"




I think I thought they were good when they came out of the oven because everything fresh from the oven tastes Magically Warm and Delicious.  But after they had a chance to settle in to their true selves?  Not so much.

The best thing about these crackers?  The photos I took making them.




So you might wanna only make these if you're on day 20 of a cleanse and you're desperate for a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free cracker.  Or if you like gnawing on cardboard.  




Rosemary and Black Pepper Gluten-Free Crackers
adapted from the Clean Program Recipes

1 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free)
2 T coconut or olive oil
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 cup water and maybe a little more
1 heaping T minced rosemary
extra salt and cracked pepper 

Preheat oven to 400.  Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Mix the flour, oil and sea salt and rosemary together with your hands or a food processor.  Add 1/4 cup of water and mix until the dough starts to come together.  Add more water little bit by little bit until the dough holds together but is not too sticky.

Roll it out 1/4" thick (or thinner if you can, this may have been my biggest problem), sprinkling more flour as you go to keep it from sticking.  Score lightly with a knife or spatula edge if you want to break them up into square shapes later.  Sprinkle more sea salt and pepper on top, pressing in into the dough lightly to stick better.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden.  






I'll bet this lady would be all over these.


5 comments:

  1. I love cardboard! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog...I don't think that I'll be making crackers any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make them sound so delicious! (they LOOK amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! ...and your honesty about these crackers--they looked good.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too funny! I think we have all made recipes like this at one point or another! Thanks for sharing your failures along with your many wonderful successes!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan