Thursday, September 6, 2012
homemade lara bars
A bunch of random stuff:
* Today I saw a dog wearing goggles while riding a motorcycle and he was the happiest dog I've ever seen.
* If your husband says your hair looks "puffy" that cannot be good.
* I met Benjamin Bratt and he is hot.
A bunch of heavy stuff:
* A friend accused me of being a People Pleaser to a fault and to illuminate this, suggested I make a list of people I consistently want to please. I did this to please her. God help me.
* In an effort to remedy this, I am focusing on pleasing myself first and not playing small. I'm not sure what this looks like yet but you'll be the first to know once I figure it out.
* I hope this post pleases you!! (just kidding:))
A bunch of favorite stuff:
* This American Life has the best iphone app--it is seriously enriching my life to own this.
* Hands down, my new favorite beauty products lately are this mascara, this body lotion and this natural deodorant.
* I cannot get enough of this video (courtesy the amazing Joy the Baker) and the way Stevie Nicks wields her talent so effortlessly and unapologetically. She is pleasing herself first, no?! Love that.
* I love Lara Bars and I'm so excited I figured out how to make them from scratch!
Homemade Chocolate Coconut Lara Bars
yields at least 6 bars (with likely additional edible scraps)
1/2 cup rough-chopped walnuts (or almonds, or cashews if you prefer)
1/2 cup pitted, rough-chopped dates
1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (Bob's Red Mill is great)
2 T raw cacao powder
1/8 t salt
1 T water
Throw the nuts, dates, coconut, cacao and salt into a food processor and blend until everything is well-mixed and incorporated. Add the water a tiny bit at a time, until the mixture just comes together. Turn out between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll with a rolling pin to a uniform thickness (about 3/4"), squaring the edges as best you can. Set in the fridge for at least an hour (or the freezer for 30 minutes) and then cut into bars and wrap individually. These are prone to be kinda squishy (just like real Lara Bars) so I'd store them in the fridge.
May you be as happy as a dog on a motorcycle today:)