Slider

roasted broccolini with chili and lemon

Monday, March 19, 2012







This is a snippet of an actual conversation:

DP: "Wow, our neighbor has some serious junk in her trunk."

Me: "Wow, honey. That's not very nice."

DP: "No. Seriously. Have you seen her get out of her car?"

Me, thinking of the size of my own ass and how much I've been sitting on it lately: "Honey!"

DP: "She must get really low gas milage."

Me: {horrified stare}

DP, cracking up and finally getting why I'm horrified: "No! I saw her standing in the driveway the other day with her trunk open and it was crammed full of so much stuff. It was shocking. Who stashes that much junk in their trunk?"



I'm sure I stashed some additional (figurative) junk in my trunk this past weekend. Some serious carbs were involved. And not just carbs. Carbs made with LOTS of sugar and butter. And then topped with more sugar and butter. We drove down to San Diego and stopped to have pancakes at Claire's in Solana Beach. Holy COW. If you've never had these, they are worth abandoning any low fat/gluten-free/carb-free/sugar-free regime you are trying to hold down. They have several varieties but the multigrain ones are insane. Kinda toothy because there are oats in there, but yet super fluffy--with just the tiniest hint of salt. And as if experiencing The Best Pancakes You've Ever Had in Your Entire Life wasn't enough, they bring you a pair of BUTTER COOKIES TOPPED WITH SPRINKLES as a little morsel with the check. Essentially a dessert after your pancakes. I couldn't possibly, you think and then you try just one bite (because after all they were complementary and you don't wanna be a rude ingrate) and then you find yourself trying to snarf the second one before your husband gets back from the restroom so you don't have to share.

The pancakes (and butter cookies) were merely a gateway drug for the rest of the weekend's indiscretion. I guess once the floodgates are opened you might as well get it all in, right? I think pizza happened and also a quesadilla (with bacon) and a chocolate chip cookie the size of my head. But I only had one. One cookie the size of my head. That's it.

Did I mention I'm not that great at moderation?

So. In an attempt at taking a little better care of my body, I'm turning over a new leaf with something green.

Who's with me??



Roasted Broccolini with Chili and Lemon
serves 4

2 bunches broccolini
1T olive oil (more if desired)
sea salt (and ideally some additional fleur de sel for finishing)
dried chili flakes (to taste)
zest and squeeze of one lemon

Preheat oven to 400. Wash and trim broccolini. Pat dry a little. Spread out in a single layer on two rimmed baking sheets. (You want the dry heat to circulate around each piece otherwise the moisture from the veg will cause steaming.) Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and chili flakes. Toss with your hands until evenly coated. Roast for 15-20 minutes until crispy and charred in spots and cooked through. Out of the oven, sprinkle the lemon zest and toss. Add more salt and a squeeze of lemon to taste*.

*Optional delicious additions include Parmesan cheese and/or garlic. Or bacon. Or butter cookies.

xoxo
jolie

P.S. While I eat broccoli I'm gonna work on recreating that pancake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan