Slider

cornflake cookies

Friday, December 21, 2012




I'm glad to report that I just got on board with Christmas! Don't get me wrong--I do love it--It just took me way longer to catch the fever this year. I'm so allergic to being force-fed Christmastime in early November (isn't it so much nicer to catch the mirth organically?) that my denial was extra resilient. Problem is, come December 20th, it is a seriously stressful jungle out there. Does it seem more jungle-y this year to you? Or is it me? LA is CUCKOO, you guys.

Yesterday I stood in an epic post office line behind a surly man with multiple face tattoos. I couldn't stop staring so he kept giving me the stink eye (or one of his tattoos was. Hard to say which.) Then, I almost drove over a man who was pretending to be blind--he had ginormous black sunglasses on and was accompanied by a seeing-eye dog. I think it might have been a dog-training situation because this man had a couple of human handlers walking behind him and they all had matching shirts. Either they were seriously slacking or had tremendous faith in the dog because as they chatted amongst themselves, the "blind" guy narrowly missed my front bumper when he stepped off the curb into oncoming traffic. I capped off this harrowing experience with another: a trip to the mall dodging aimless walkers, tantrum-y children and people trying to spray stuff on me.

Although remarkably on edge, by some Christmas miracle I made it home in one piece. I started baking cookies and wound up feeling so at home and warm and Christmas-y and happy in the kitchen that I stayed there for hours. It was just what I needed. Will you remind me of this next year? Perhaps right after Thanksgiving?

Thanks.


So. These cornflake cookies are ridiculous. After this cornflake adventure, I got it in my head that I wanted to make cookies with cornflakes in them. So I did a ton of research and love the result: they are buttery and snappy and nutty and cereal-y and delicious. I'm pleased to say these have found a spot in my regular Christmas cookie rotation for sure. The minute I tasted them it was like a forgotten memory. Yes, this is extremely dramatic talk for a cookie but I think you'll know what I mean. They might just launch you into the Christmas spirit!:)





Cornflake Cookies
makes about 36

1 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cream of tartar
2 cups cornflakes, crushed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans, if you wish)

Preheat oven to 350. Place the cornflakes in a ziploc bag and smash with your hands or the back of a small skillet, making sure some larger pieces remain for texture. Mix the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together and set aside. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for several minutes until very light. Add the vanilla and salt and mix well, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add the dry ingredients bit by bit, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in the crushed cornflakes and nuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls* onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (they'll spread out so place them 2" apart) and bake for 12-15 minutes or until just starting to turn toasty on the edges.

*Alternatively, you can divide the dough in half, roll into two logs (about 2" in diameter) and Saran-wrap. Refrigerate at least two hours and slice into 1/2" rounds before baking. They come out looking the same this way, it's just a little faster to prep them for the baking sheets.


Happy Holidays!!!
xoxo
jolie

P.S. Other yummy cookie ideas, Christmas or not:

Homemade Oreos
Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
Iced Pumpkin Cookies
Chocolate Sables with Sea Salt
Grandma's Italian Biscuits (<-----these have frosting!!:))

3 comments:

  1. Will have to try these just because I have not had cornflakes in years and have never used that much cream of tartar in a recipe :)

    I agree completely that resistance to the early Christmas advertising made it hard to get into the mood. Took a viewing of A Christmas Story to get me going.

    Have a good holiday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the cookies because I couldn't resist your description. The batter seemed awfully dry. I hope the recipe isn't missing an ingredient, like eggs. Some cookies spread; most did not. They crumbled terribly after they came out of the oven. I like the taste, but I did something wrong or something is missing because they just don't hold together like they should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, so sorry you had that experience! The recipe doesn't include eggs but it might be interesting to try and would definitely yield a less crumbly cookie. Perhaps you used a bit too much flour?

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan